Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Wedding Cake Alternatives


Image courtesy of iVillage

I'm not a fan of cake. I don't know why. By all accounts, I'm genetically predisposed to be a cake-lover. My mom and sister truly love no other food more than a beautifully decorated, 5-tier, white wedding cake. Ugh. As I child I would usually request ice cream cake, cheesecake or pies when my birthday rolled around, so I always knew I wouldn't serve a traditional wedding cake at my reception.

What I did not know was that my Prince Charming would love cake and be mortified at the very thought of ditching it for a tasty alternative. Our compromise? A 4-tiered cake offering a different flavor in each layer (amaretto, strawberry swirl, chocolate mousse, and tiramisu). So, yes, in the end I did end up with a (gorgeous!) cake at my reception. But it was fun and different - and guests loved having 3 options to choose from. Only 3, you ask? Yup! Hubby and I took the top tier (tiramisu) home and had it for dessert every night for the first week of our married life. I couldn't bring myself to freeze it and eat it a year later when I knew it would be so yummy NOW!

For you girls who are entertaining the idea of replacing that cake with something better suited to your tastes (or budget) - or for those just hoping to find something fun to serve alongside it, consider dishing up one of these delicious alternatives. They can be displayed on a reception table or served to guests individually:

- Flan (infuse with different flavors like orange or caramel)
- Creme brulee topped with fresh berries
- Chocolate Mousse
- Tiramisu
- Cheese cakes in multiple flavors
- Creme puffs
- Funnel cakes (perfect for casual outdoor receptions)
- Cupcakes (ok, they’re still cake…but they’re just so darn CUTE!)
- Giant, ornately decorated sugar cookies personalized with your names and/or wedding date
- Baklava
- Chocolate fountain
- Truffles
- Pies
- Build-Your-Own Ice Cream Sundaes

Can't bring yourself to pick just one? Set up a buffet table! Guests are sure to appreciate the variety and creativity. Plus, if you do some research, you'll spend less on a buffet than a big cake. Decorate the table with lavish flower arrangements and tiered serving trays to really make the presentation pop! Best of all, your big day will certainly standout from all the rest!

 
template by suckmylolly.com